Whether it is for a movie night, watching sports, or a pool party, hotdogs are fool-proof. Plain, with mayo, topped with onions, or jazzed with chili, it does not matter how you serve hotdogs. It is guaranteed to be a big hit! Read on and learn how to cook hotdog in toaster oven! It is easier than what you have thought.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Cook Hot dog in Toaster Oven
Most people will prepare hotdog in a grill or pan. However, you can also prepare it in the oven. Within a few minutes, you can have sweet and succulent hotdogs ready to devour. Below, we’ll quickly explore some of the best ways to do this like a pro.
Cooking the Hotdog
- The first thing to do is to prepare the hotdog. Wait for it to reach room temperature. Use a sharp knife to slice the sides, which allows the steam to escape while also allowing the heat to circulate evenly. This way, you can be sure that all parts of the hotdog are cooked.
- Preheat your toaster oven. Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit to prepare it for cooking the hotdogs.
- As you wait for the oven to preheat, prepare the tray. Line it with aluminum foil. The latter will prevent the hotdog from sticking on the cooking surface, which will also make the clean-up a breeze. Arrange the hotdogs in such a way that there is enough space. Cramping too many hotdogs in the tray will result in uneven cooking.
- Set the cooking time. This will depend on the size or thickness of the hotdog. In most cases, you will need to cook them for only three to four minutes per side. Flip the hotdogs for even cooking. Check the hotdogs if they are already cooked. If not, extend the cooking time. Cook them until they are crispy and juicy.
- Turn off the oven and take off the hotdogs from the tray. Put them directly on a bun if you want to eat them as a sandwich.
How to Cook Hot Dogs
Different Ways of Serving Hotdogs
Now that we talked about the steps of cooking the hotdog in a toaster oven, this section walks you through some of the best ways to serve it.
Serve it Plain
If you want the flavor of the hotdog to stand out, then your best bet is to serve it without any garnish or dressing. This is popular amongst kids. You can serve it in a bun or in a stick.
Wrap it With Bacon
Take your hotdog to the next level by wrapping it with bacon before popping in the toaster oven. Wrap one long slice of bacon on the hotdog. This will add grease and flavor to the hotdog, but some might find it overpowering. Not to mention, you might want to avoid it if you are on a diet.
Slather with Your Favorite Condiments
A simple way to jazz up your hotdogs is to serve it with different condiments. Ketchup, mayo, and mustard are some of the most common. You can use a variety of commercially-available prepared sauces depending on the specific flavors that you would like to stand out. Make it sweet, spicy, or tangy to meet your preferences.
Add Texture in Every Bite
Another way to make it more mouthwatering is to add ingredients that will not only enhance flavor but also add texture. Some of the good examples of such include onion, pickles, tomato, cabbage, lettuce, and jalapenos.
Cut in Fun Shapes
Especially if you are serving the hotdog to kids, it is a good idea to cut it into fun shapes. Do this before putting them in the toaster oven. Experiment with different designs, such as octopus, spider, zigzag, snake, and palm tree, among others. All that you need is a knife to shape the hotdog the way you want it to look like.
4 Levels of Hot Dogs: Amateur to Food Scientist
Tips and Tricks When Cooking Hotdog in a Toaster Oven
To conclude this guide, we’ll leave you with some tips for preparing delicious hotdogs.
Pick the Right Hotdog
To the uninitiated, all hotdogs look the same. However, they are different in many ways. Pick the right hotdog and it is easy to impress your family and friends. Do not choose large hotdogs as they often have a lot of fats. You might also want to steer clear from salty hotdogs. It is best to choose ones with no added nitrates or uncured. If possible, go for organic and low-sodium, although not all of you are probably that health-conscious.
Choose the Right Bun
Aside from the quality of the hotdog, the bun to use is another crucial consideration. It should be large enough to fit your hotdog. Pick an oblong-shaped roll that has a crispy crust and a juicy interior. Many people like baking the crust for a while. Use the right knife to slice it, which will also avoid crumbs. Like with the hotdog, the buns must be fresh!
Do Not Overcook the Hotdogs
It is easy to overcook hotdogs if you do not keep an eye on them. Aside from being burnt, the casing can burst. It will not only have a dark and unappealing color, but it will also be tough, dry, and disgusting. So, make sure to cook it at the right time. Check the hotdogs often and see if it needs more cooking.
Thaw the Hotdogs
If you are in a hurry, it is tempting to cook hotdogs straight out of the freezer, but that should not be the case. Instead, you should wait for it to thaw or at least reach room temperature. This will make sure that it is evenly cooked. Putting a frozen hotdog in the toaster will result in having a warn interior and cold or frozen interior.
The Biggest Mistakes Everyone Makes When Cooking Hot Dogs