If you love cooking at home, then you’d probably agree with me that slicing and chopping is the most tiring and tedious task performed in the kitchen. However, we can not undermine the importance of this kitchen task, as your slicing ability can influence your food quality.
Further, a lot of skill and an ultra-sharp knife is needed to achieve thin, evenly sliced strips of Parma ham or prosciutto. Fortunately, there are machines designed to help you get perfect slices in a fraction of the time.
Sadly, it’s not quite easy to find a meat slicer that makes the slicing process a lot easier with lots of options on the market. Here’s the good news, The Chef choice meat slicer 615A is our top piece for the best meat slicer to achieve amazing decent slicing and chopping results.
Chef’s Choice 615A Meat Slicer Review
What We Like:
- All structural components, including the food pusher, feature stainless steel and cast aluminum construction.
- Thanks to its extraordinary powerful high torque motor; this gadget handles just about anything with ease and perfectly
- Delivers quick and efficient slicing with its tilted food carriage. Plus, the featured special button ensures the food carriage stays in the lock position to keep the blade from easy reach when not in use.
- It has a 7″ stainless steel blade to offer deli thin or ¾” thick slices of any foods with ease. That means you can get easy, soft cheese slices, a thin slice of meat, and smooth cut on the bread without any hassle.
- Thickness guide, food deflector, food pusher, food carriage, and blade are easily detachable for thorough cleaning.
- It comes with a serving tray.
What We Don’t Like:
- If you have got a large piece of meat or bread, this model’s guard can be useless, which is why it’s best to use a cut-resistant glove in such situations.
- While you might not get an ultra-thin capicola slice even when cutting it with a serrated blade or smooth blade, it offers a pretty thin slice. The Chef’s Choice 615A slice denser meats thinly, but for thinner foods like capicola, it requires a bit of practice to achieve ultra-thin results.
- The smooth blade is not included, which means you have to purchase this blade separately. This kitchen gadget only includes a serrated blade, which isn’t a deal-breaker but something to consider to ensure you make a smarter decision.
- Chef’s Choice 615A has a large footprint making it ideal for people with large kitchen space, especially if you prefer to have it sitting on your countertop. Also, it might work for people with small kitchen space but ample storage space.
Review of Chefs Choice 615A Meat Slicer
Difference Between Chef’s Choice 615 and 615a
These models are quite similar in terms of features, quality, and performance. However, the Chef’s Choice 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer is discontinued.
Let’s be honest; you probably won’t need a full-sized slicer for everyday use. Among kitchen gadgets on a daily rotation, this machine is not one of them. Therefore, taking much space on your countertop can be a deal-breaker for most people.
If you have got a limited kitchen space, then you might want to consider other models. But for people with ample kitchen space, you can easily tuck this gadget away after using it. Nonetheless, this large Chef choice meat slicer 615 is an excellent model offering optimal convenience when slicing and chopping meat.
This product measures 15.5 x 10.4 x 11 inches. So, consider the size of this device before splurging.
Ease of Cleaning
Like other kitchen gadgets, cleaning them takes a lot of time, then it might not be a worthy investment. Before purchasing a meat slicer from Chef’s Choice, we need to consider how easy cleaning the device will be.
Surprisingly, Chef’s Choice 615A comes apart completely for a hassle-free cleaning experience. Food deflector, pusher, food carriage, blade, and thickness guide are easy to detach for thorough cleaning.
When purchasing an electric model, it’s best to opt for one with easily removable parts. Models with irremovable pieces are much challenging and tricky to clean completely. It’s important to clean the meat slicer thoroughly after every use to guarantee you and your family’s safety.
You probably heard terrifying stories of missing fingers and meat slicers before. While using a meat slicer poses some danger, models with proper safety functions are completely safe to use, provided it is used responsibly.
To ensure that the kitchen gadget is completely safe to use, here are a couple of things to look for in a meat slicer before opting for a model.
- The blade should be covered by a safety guard to allow applicable settings when in motion.
- A mesh glove for extra finger protection when slicing meat
- Lock-in-place slicing settings to prevent the blade from adjusting while slicing food.
- A non-slip bottom to ensure that the machine stays in place while being operated.
When it comes to slicer’s, there are two main types of blades: serrated and smooth. You’d agree with me that certain types of blades offer amazing cuts on specific foods for those who are not new to meat slicers.
For those looking to get thinner slices, you probably prefer smooth blades. However, for more dense slicing, the serrated blade performs better.
Keep in mind that only some models include both types of blade. Chef’s Choice 615A does not come with a smooth blade but has options to purchase this blade separately.
What’s more? Blades are not universal, which means they are available in different sizes and features unique attachment points across the brands available. Therefore, it’s important to be cautious when picking a replacement blade for this kitchen gadget.
Metal vs. Plastic Parts
Most people often tend to go with a meat slicer built with metal. Sadly, this is not always the case. No doubt, they are very durable but not essential in terms of a meat slicer’s quality. So, a product with plastic internal components should not be a deal-breaker, like Chef’s Choice 615A. It’s just as durable and reliable as a meat slicer built completely with metal.
But ensure that the parts are properly lubricated to prevent unnecessary frictions that might cause mishaps between the moving plastic parts. You can opt for food-grade grease for a mess-free experience and getting in those hard-to-reach spaces in the slicer.
Chefs Choice premium food slicer 615 in action.
Obviously, a meat slicer is an essential appliance in any kitchen. If you make loads of sandwiches, own a deli or small cafe, or need a slicer in your kitchen for home-cooked meals, then this gadget will cater to all your slicing needs.
This slicer features solid construction to ensure that it serves you for a longer period. However, it’s slightly bigger than other options out there; this lightweight meat slicer comes with an ultra-sharp 7-inch blade and a serving tray that glides smoothly.
Even better, the blade is easy to remove for a thorough cleaning, and re-installing is a breeze. The Chef’s Choice 615A is a decent choice for anyone looking to get perfect food slices.